Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Encaustic painting



Yes, this is what I did aaaaallllll day today! well , I finished a few other paintings as well but this one little painting took me most of the day! First I drew her, then I painted her on a page from a vintage book and painted her with acrylics, then I cut out her dress, painted the background of the canvas in acrylics, adhered a small piece of an old children's fable book with a little drawing of a sheep,( thats where my inspiration came from). It then took me forever.... to melt the beeswax in the microwave and layer the first layer of beeswax down, went to use the heat blower and blew the fuse!!!! I then had to go in the garage, find a latter and open the fuse box and reset everything because I couldn't figure out which one was the particular fuse... that took about 35 minutes!!!! Then I accidentally locked myself in the garage!!!! we only have a garage door, I opened the garage and had to go to all the doors of the house luckily, i had left the back door open,(lost 4 pounds, due to the heat!!!!) another 20 minutes. finally get inside and had to reheat the wax!!!!!!! second layer of wax with some of the papers put the blower back on and then blow the blower up!!!!!(so much fun!!!)I go get the blow dryer this time... oh the wax is cold again! reheat! another layer, more papers, the cutout doll...some oil paint, put the hair dryer on it, blow everything too high, start again!!!! well you get the picture, you'll want to jam a fork in your eye if I continue, and I really wouldn't want any injuries!....anyway just thought I'd give you a little peek at my wonderful day! hope you like my Bo Peep!

And here's my 4th painting on Ebay..."Butterfly" Have a great night... I hope I do :( I'm exhausted, wonder why...

18 comments:

NatashaMay said...

One of those days! :) But at least we're having fun reading about it. :)) The painting looks awesome!

Diane said...

Well, she was worth it! This was so funny to read, but I'm sure you weren't laughing at the time. I still have to try that beeswax!

nacherluver said...

Oh my! Think I would have named her "Lil' Stinker" after all that ;)
Adorable.

pinkglitterfae said...

oh my, what an experience, lol! Encaustics sound so intriguing.

I went to an art fest on the weekend and was talking to one of the women who does encaustic painting. She said she teaches, but unfortunately lives in another city, so I can't go. Did you teach yourself? The effect is lovely, and I'm sure next time it will go much smoother. The painting turned out lovely, nice and dreamy
xoxo
betty

Emma Grace said...

She looks great!!!

Once Upon A Blue Crow said...

Bless your heart! I'm still giggling...with you though..
She was absolutely worth it!

Gifts of Creation said...

Very beautiful piece! Thanks for sharing your frustrating day! It seems to have been worth it and we all got a good laugh! This is my first time to visit your blog...very nice work! I'm a follower!

virginiasvignettes said...

LOL!...your post put a Big smile on my face!Living in Florida,you can lose lbs. just going to your mail box,LOL,....Your artwork is BEAUTIFUL!...I was listing some things myself,and wanted to make sure I was in the correct area(mainly hoping I wasn't among the male nudes,LOL)...and your pieces just caught my eye!...PLEASE don't get discouraged,ebay is tricky(some days its feathers,some days its chickens!)Do you have some of your work on zibbet.com?They are similar to Etsy...Anyway,I truly enjoyed your post....:)~~virginia

Emma Grace said...

I love your art and I followed you!! I hope you follow me!!!

Isabel said...

We must be related! I have had my share and the wax awwww another story. I love how it turned out worth all the work:O) Have an awesome day:O)

Sunny Lee said...

Love your painting!!! Ya.. once you try beeswax.....you fall in love with encaustic paintings... The first time I tired it..I loved it... :)

patty said...

Love her and love encaustic. Only did it once in a workshop and haven't yet dared try it at home!!

Kerri said...

getting locked in the garage ranks up there near getting stuck in an elevator. glad it wasn't too long.
and you ended up with a beautiful girl at the end of the day!

Sophia said...

I absolutely think she was worth it all! She is so adorable! :)

Hope you have a wonderful week. Hugs!

Juliette Crane said...

oh my gosh! i LOVE these paintings! i just adore the expressions on these girls! your determination makes me want to try painting with beeswax again. so beautiful!

xoxo, juliette

Andrea said...

Just found you! LOVE your artwork!!

vintagesusie & wings said...

I Love her!!!! She is easily worth a whole day...maybe several! Adorable sweet girl friend...
Smiles,
Susie

Art-Ioanna said...

very nice works!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails